Montana: Very Dangerous Fire Weather Conditions Saturday
Extreme caution should be used this weekend as temps rise back up to the 90s on Saturday with more gusty winds and continued low humidity. Fire danger is very high for nearly a dozen counties this weekend.
(We have included a Fire Zone Map below for further detail on which zones are directly affected by this Fire Weather Watch.)
According to the National Weather Service:
- The National Weather Service in Billings has issued a Fire Weather Watch.
- WHEN:This WATCH is in effect from Saturday afternoon through Saturday evening.
- IMPACTS: Low humidities, hot temperatures, strong gusty winds, and wind shift with a cold front will create erratic fire behavior and new fire starts.
- AFFECTED AREA: In North Central WY Fire Zones...274...284.
- In South Central MT Fire Zones...123...124...125...126...127 128...129.
- In Southeast MT Fire Zones...130...131...132.
- In Southeast MT and Northwest SD Fire Zone...133.
- COUNTIES AFFECTED: In Central MT...Golden Valley...Musselshell...Wheatland. In North Central WY...Big Horn...Johnson...Sheridan...Washakie. In Northwest SD...Harding. In South Central MT...Big Horn...Carbon...Park...Stillwater Sweet Grass...Yellowstone. In Southeast MT...Carter...Custer...Fallon...Powder River Rosebud...Treasure. In Southwest MT...Gallatin.
- COLD FRONT: Cold front passage Saturday afternoon and evening bringing a strong wind shift to the north.
- WIND: West to northwest gusts 20-30 mph.
- HUMIDITY: Around 10 percent in the afternoon.
- TEMPERATURES: Highs 95-100 degrees.
- A Fire Weather Watch means that critical fire weather conditions are forecast to occur.
You can get a complete look at all active fires in Montana at the FireWeatherAvalanche.org site. It's incredibly informative and generally very up-to-date. (You'll also find info for wildfires in other states there too.)
Use extreme caution this weekend if you're planning on recreating for the holiday. Fires that start may become extremely difficult to contain. Always have a safe exit plan.