5 Helpful Tips To Picking The Perfect Montana Watermelon
Certain things just make your summer barbeque top-notch and one of those things is having the perfect watermelon slices for everyone to enjoy, including your furbaby (just don't forget to remove the seeds and the rind for your pooch).
So when it comes to picking the perfect watermelon, there are a few things to look for.
5 THINGS TO LOOK FOR WHEN PICKING THE PERFECT WATERMELON
1. The melon's size. We know the phrase, "bigger is better", but not so much in this case. You actually want a watermelon that is somewhere in the middle.
2. The "spot". Do you know that one spot that isn't as green as the rest of the melon? That actually lets you know that it was not picked too early. It was left to grow until it hit perfection. So don't shy away from a melon that isn't perfectly colored all the way around.
3. Weight. You want your melon to feel pretty heavy, heavier than you would expect. That means that when you cut into your delicious fruit, there will most likely be lots of juice. Which is good.
4. Smell it. It may look weird when you see someone smelling melons when you are at the store, but it is such a great way to figure out if the melon is ready to eat or if it is over-ripe...which is not great.
5. Those spider web-looking marks. Do you know the spots that look like a web of some sort or a blotch? Those are good signs that your melon is going to be really sweet. I always thought "These spots are ugly, I bet this melon is gross". I was absolutely wrong. Those spots actually mean that bees helped make your melon sweet, the more times a bee visits a melon, the sweeter it will be.
Hopefully, these tips help you to pick the perfect Watermelon for your next backyard barbeque.