Best Places to Meet People and Make Friends in Bozeman
Next month will mark five years since I moved to Bozeman. I moved here for work, and I love most things about living here.
We all know how incredibly expensive living here has become, but one aspect that is often overlooked is how difficult it is to meet new people. It may be a little easier for students attending Montana State University, but if you're out of college and are older it can be challenging.
I don't drink, so I don't spend a lot of time in bars. When I do happen to find myself in a bar in downtown Bozeman, a lot of the time I feel like I'm the oldest person there. It's kind of awkward, and I honestly don't want to be the creepy old weird guy.
If you're like me, and you're having a hard time meeting new people and making friends, here's something that might help. Users on a recent thread on the Bozeman Reddit page offered some great advice on the best places to meet people if you're struggling with the process.
Now that some of the restrictions have been lifted and I’m vaccinated, I want to try to get out and meet some new friends. Is there a Facebook group I can join, or maybe a good bar to hang out at? Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thank you!
Here are a few of the places that were recommended in the thread on Reddit.
karlthebear had a few recommendations
- Most of the major sports in the area have some sort of social group that are big and welcoming. Big Sky Wind Drinkers are the runners, Bridger Ski Foundation the alpine and Nordic groups. Then there are Facebook and Meetup.com groups. There's one for just about every outdoor activity in the valley.
- The farmer's markets are a good people watching and social space that happens on the regular.
- Music on Main is a summer concert series that is basically a big party every time.
- The Emerson has a bunch of different stuff to explore.
- If you like to drink, so does a ton of Bozeman. You know what to do.
- The ‘Brau bro. (referring to the Haufbrau)
Before the pandemic, I used to play cribbage every Tuesday at the Eagle's Club in downtown Bozeman. For me personally, that was a great way to meet new people.