Less Chocolate, More Bugs: Annual Bug Buffet Arrives Feb. 14
While chocolate has been the poster child for Valentine’s Day, with over 7.6 million tons of it being eaten between 2017–2018, MSU provides a crunchy and healthy alternative.
The university’s 31st annual Bug Buffet is scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 14 with additional activities spread throughout the week. From Feb. 9 –15, MSU is hosting an array of events dedicated to edible insects.
- Saturday, Feb. 9: MSU students will engage in a cook-off against Gallatin College MSU students at 2 p.m. The public is invited for tastings and award presentations following the cook-off at 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 12: The public is invited to a screening of a film, “Bugs on the Menu,” taking place at the Procrastination Theater from 5 – 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 13: MSU as well as Julie Lesnik, assistant professor of anthropology at Wayne State University and author of “Edible Insects and Human Evolution,” will be hosting an academic conference called “Field to Feast: Prehistoric and Historic Search for Edible Insects in Food Evolution.” The event will take place from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. in Room 108 of the Plant Biosciences Building including the neighboring atrium. RSVPs can be made to Hannah Brousseau here: email@example.com
- Thursday, Feb. 14: A variety of bug dishes can be sampled in MSU’s 31 annual Bug Buffet. The event will take place from noon until 4 p.m. in the Strand Union Building and is free to the public.
- Friday, Feb. 15: Field trips are available to The Cricket Ranch and U.S. Department of Agriculture fish hatchery in Bozeman. Both field trips are available at 9:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. Please contact Claire Zahner at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for either field trip. Additional questions regarding the Cowboy Cricket Farms field trip can be sent to Derek Kean at email@example.com.
To participants who suffer from food allergies, MSU has stated some of the dishes may contain shellfish. Additionally, there are gluten-free options available.
For further information regarding these events, click here