Standing VS Sitting At The Office [Video]
Our digital mastermind here at KISS is Cole. Cole is the one who figures out what we should post about and also checks our posts to be sure that they are the most user friendly so that you get the best experience possible out of our website. Cole has recently changed his office desk situation from that of the standard sitting set up to one that allows him to stand while doing his work.
When I first saw the set up I thought of Dwight from The Office TV show.
Here is a video from someone in the real world who has opted for the standing workstation.
Some stats from Time Healthland on standing rather than sitting at work.
- In 2010 British Journal of Sports Medicine found that sitting for prolonged periods have a higher risk of disease than those who move a muscle every now and then in a non-exercise manner, such as walking up the stairs to grab a cup of coffee.
- The American Cancer Society found that even if you exercise nearly every day, those health benefits can be counter acted by sitting most of the day.
- Scientists at the University of Missouri found that sitting can cut down the circulation of a fat-absorbing enzyme called lipase.
- A study in the American Journal of Epidemiology showed that sitting for more than six hours a day, can make someone at least 18% more likely to die from diabetes, heart disease and obesity than those sitting less than three hours a day.
- Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Louisiana found that after about 13 years, people who sit for most of the day are 54% more likely to die of heart attacks.
Seems like the negative effects of sitting can be counteracted by taking breaks, like a walk around the building, every now and then. But I'm not a doctor so what do I know? What do you think?