NY Times Journalists Released From Libyan Custody
The latest news reguarding the American journalists being held in Libya
(Reuters) – Libya released four New York Times journalists on Monday, nearly a week after they had been captured by Libyan forces while covering the conflict there, although three journalists for other outlets remained missing.
The journalists later gave a frightening account of their ordeal in which they said some of their captors threatened their lives.
The release had been in the works since Thursday, with Turkey serving as intermediary between the U.S. and Libyan governments.
The four, who had been allowed to speak to their families on Thursday, were released to the Turkish embassy in Tripoli and later arrived safely in Tunisia, the Times said.
The United States, lacking a diplomatic presence in Libya at the moment, asked Turkey to represent its interests there as part of the deal to free the journalists, Turkey’s ambassador to the United States said.
“Because of the volatile situation in Libya, we’ve kept our enthusiasm and comments in check until they were out of the country, but now feels like a moment for celebration,” Executive Editor Bill Keller said in a statement.
“And before long we’ll all know the details of their experience,” Keller said.
Read the rest of the story via NY Times journalists released from Libyan custody | Reuters.